- Neurological surgery in the medical specialty concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of disorders that affect the spinal column, spinal cord, brain, nervous system and peripheral nerves
- Neurosurgeons are the only physicians qualified to diagnose, treat and operate on the entire nervous system composed of the brain, spinal cord and spinal column as well as the nerves that travel through all parts of the body.
- Neurosurgeons treat patients for much more than brain tumors.
- Over 60 percent of neurosurgical procedures perfomed in the United States each year are spine related according to a recent report from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- In 1999 the four top surgical procedures performed by neurosurgeons were for spinal disorders with surgery for brain tumors being listed 5th .
- Founded in 1931 s the Harvey Cushing Society, the American Association of Neurological Surgeons is a as scientific and educational association with nearly 5,500 members worldwide.